Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Pwn

Everyone who has spoken to me in the past couple of days will have heard me say this multiple times, but: College is deserted. There is pretty near no one around (I've counted three people), and it would be an understatement to say this is rather unusual. I'm used to this place as a madding crowd; a sea of people; pandora's box of chatter; a noisy, gossipy, overpopulated campus. And now it's empty.

It is funny, exhilarating and incredible: I am the only person in the library right now. I kid you not. The only person. Really. Three floors and never-ending racks of books (I can pile up two hundred and you can't stop me), two lovely staircases (and a banister to slide down, and no frowns), rows and rows of cubicles to choose from and a great expanse of unplanned space - ALL MINE. All mine. I could stand here and read out loud, declaim poetry on solitude and time and life and death, play music so loudly it will echo; I can dance and sing and deem the whole world mine, because it is. It's an absolutely mad feeling. I love it.

This is a new one for me; a post of this kind - a momentary idea, badly phrased, incompletely expressed, but just scribbled down in the spur of the moment. So what?

THE WORLD IS ALL MINE.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not bad, though I would not be caught dead alone in a library!

Why still in college, though?

Varun said...

I envy you, if only for being able to slide down the bannister without censure. :)

P.S. Good to see you're writing again.

pariv said...

@anon:
First off, who be you? Might thou be from my college? And what might thy name be?
I have a moot to work on; ergo, self-exile.

@verun:
I haven't slid down the banister too many times, you know. It rains and everything feels too slippery and I like my bones intact.
You call this 'writing'? This is just scribbling nonsense. I see you've been writing, though. :)

You can call me Kher said...

See, you can write normally :) I love empty college!